BioBag is proud to be the best selling brand of certified compostable bags made from the material, Mater-Bi. We are also proud to be the first certified compostable bag to achieve national distribution of retail products through natural food stores across the country.
The city of San Francisco selected BioBag to promote their residential food waste collection program. The city has delivered over 100,000 rolls of BioBags to residents within the county to help educate consumers on the importance of diverting food and other biodegradable waste from entering landfills. San Francisco residents can now purchase additional supplies at over 100 outlets in the bay area. BioBag is proud to be a partner in this important effort.
Facts and data regarding BioBag products:
BioBag products are certified by the Biodegradable Products Institute to meet the ASTM D6400 specification.
Always look for the logo to assure the products you buy are truly biodegradable in a municipal composting setting.
- BioBag products support the California law for biodegradable and compostable product claims.
- BioBags are made from the material, Mater-Bi, which is a resin produced by the environmental award winning company, Novamont. Novamont’s environmental policy involves sourcing non GM natural raw materials in the production of compostable resins.
- BioBag uses no chemical additives to enhance decomposition. BioBags are consumed by micro-organisms in a composting environment.
- BioBags “breathe”, which allows heat and moisture to escape or evaporate. This feature reduces bacterial build-up of collected waste, thus reducing odor.
- BioBag products can be composted per the ASTM D6400 standard, leaving no harmful residue.
For best results:
- Use BioBags within 12 months of purchase
- Store in a dry, cool area
- Separate BioBag carefully along perforation. Force may cause the bag to rip
- Replace your BioBag every couple of days if exposed to organic matter
- DON’T put hot liquids inside bag
Landfill Placement of BioBags:
BioBags are designed to be composted and returned naturally back to the earth. They are not designed to be placed in a landfill.
If BioBags are placed in an open landfill they will decompose at a rate similar to other biodegradable materials in the same setting. If BioBags are placed in an anaerobic (air-locked) landfill and deprived of oxygen and the existence of the micro-organisms that “eat” naturally biodegradable materials, their ability to decompose will be severely restricted. This is true of all biodegradable materials placed in this setting, including paper, yard waste and food waste. The majority of landfills in the U.S. are anaerobic (air-locked) landfills.
As a consumer, you should be quite suspicious of any manufacturer making claims that their products will biodegrade quickly in an air-locked landfill.
In regards to all BioBag products except the 3 gallon & 13 gallon food waste bags (because they are home compost certified), please review this disclaimer:
- Appropriate composting facilities may not exist in your area. To find a municipal composting facility, visit findacomposter.com.
- May not be suitable for home composting depending on your composting method.